Every year, 20 to 30 doctoral students graduate with the academic degree Dr. rer. nat. from. The doctorate is not a degree in the usual sense, but mainly consists of working on an independent research project in one of the research areas represented at the department. Doctoral students are members of a research group in our department. Anyone interested in carrying out a doctoral project should therefore apply directly to the relevant working group.
- The registration for the doctorate as well as the submission of the doctoral thesis together with the required documents have now been temporarily switched to an electronic procedure.
- Please send all documents as pdf in a single e-mail to the Dean's Office (Ms. Brück). Original documents with a signature must be submitted in due time to the Dean's Office of the Department of Physics.
- Please note the updated information on submitting your dissertation (in German) and the application for acceptance of the dissertation (in German).
- TU members who would like to attend a public doctoral lecture broadcast via video conference will receive the access data and further information at moodle approx. 1-3 working days before the respective date.
- Registration form for doctoral candidates (in German)
- Structured doctoral program of the Department of Physics
- In the case of doctoral theses within the framework of research associations or external research institutes, you sometimes have to complete program points that go beyond the requirements of the structured doctoral program of the Department of Physics. It is therefore recommended that you inquire about this with your supervisor before starting a doctoral thesis in a relevant research association or institute.
- Informationen zur Abgabe Ihrer Dissertation und den Antrag auf Annahme finden Sie unter dem Punkt: "Zeitweilige Änderungen" des Anmelde- und Abgabeverfahrens (siehe oben)
Doctoral Regulations and Notes
- The current doctoral regulations for the Department of Physics in the 2014 version.
- Re-registration ban after 3 years: According to §1 (9) of the TU enrollment regulations (in German) enrollment for the purpose of doctoral studies is initially limited to three years. Extensions are made upon submission of a new written confirmation from the student secretariat. The form you need to submit to the student secretariat can be obtained from the Physics Dean's Office on request. To do this, please write an email to Ms. Brück stating the original enrollment date and the name of the first supervisor.
- For first-time supervisors at the Department of Physics, there is more information about a doctorate in a moodle room moodle-Raum (in German).
Search & People Search
CalendarTo event list
Location & approach
The campus of the Technical University of Dortmund is located near the freeway junction Dortmund West, where the Sauerland line A45 crosses the Ruhr expressway B1/A40. The Dortmund-Eichlinghofen exit on the A45 leads to the South Campus, the Dortmund-Dorstfeld exit on the A40 leads to the North Campus. The university is signposted at both exits.
The "Dortmund Universität" S-Bahn station is located directly on the North Campus. From there, the S-Bahn line S1 runs every 20 or 30 minutes to Dortmund main station and in the opposite direction to Düsseldorf main station via Bochum, Essen and Duisburg. In addition, the university can be reached by bus lines 445, 447 and 462. Timetable information can be found on the homepage of the Rhine-Ruhr transport association, and DSW21 also offer an interactive route network map.
One of the landmarks of the TU Dortmund is the H-Bahn. Line 1 runs every 10 minutes between Dortmund Eichlinghofen and the Technology Center via Campus South and Dortmund University S, while Line 2 commutes every 5 minutes between Campus North and Campus South. It covers this distance in two minutes.
From Dortmund Airport, it takes just over 20 minutes to get to Dortmund Central Station by AirportExpress and from there to the university by S-Bahn. A wider range of international flight connections is offered by Düsseldorf Airport, about 60 kilometers away, which can be reached directly by S-Bahn from the university's train station.
The facilities of TU Dortmund University are spread over two campuses, the larger Campus North and the smaller Campus South. Additionally, some areas of the university are located in the adjacent "Technologiepark".Zum Lageplan